Wednesday 2 October 2013

Questions??

After reviewing reader 4, I feel as though I have developed many questions regarding my Profession and the way I work and learn within it.

What is the definition of Knowledge within the performing arts?  There are so many sub sectors in the industry that it is hard to label the knowledge we use.  Do we give ourselves enough credit for the many different skills and attributions we use in our everyday profession.  I'm my own accountant, I'm an administrator, a teacher, a student.

 Do we ever stop learning?

Is it ironic that we teach and guide others in a skill we are still learning?

In the performing arts industry it is imperative that we are continually researching and keeping up to date with changes within the industry.  But how research may be viewed by others is different to how it is viewed in my profession.  Taking a class is research.  Learning a new song is research.  Typing an actors name in Google and learning their biography off by heart is research.  Watching somebody on a train and creating a whole story for them, and then portraying them in my next acting audition/class is research.  I believe that everything I do is research, as it creates knowledge in which i base my creativity on.



2 comments:

  1. Hi Lizzy,

    I'm going to start trying to define some questions today.I really like your last question that you have up here. I think you could extend the question, or maybe include a part B by asking how we measure knowledge of the arts. Is it possible to have total knowledge? Is it possible to decrease in understanding of the arts through exploring further? By this I mean, If you try to develop your knowledge further by exploring a new subject area, technically you would then be returning to a 'beginner' stage, does this mean your stature as a knowledgable professional has now just been reduced?

    Not sure if any of that has helped or if that has just made this process a little more complicated! Have a look at my questions later today and let me know what you think.

    Anna x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for elaborating on my blog. I do believe that we are always at a beginner stage of something in our lives, and we can never stop learning. But although this is true, are we not just developing ourselves further and becoming more knowledgeable, rather than reducing our professional knowledge. We are building on top of a foundation that is already there, we don't pull it down and forget about everything we already know, we add to it.

    ReplyDelete