Wednesday 30 October 2013

Professional Ethics Findings in the Workplace

After writing what I feel are the ethics and code of conduct within teaching dance, I have done some research into literature and professional sources to see how my views and opinions differ or relate to these pieces.  

I found a piece on the 'NDTA website,http://www.ndta.org.uk/advice-information/dance-studio-specification ',  which i feel supports my views on Health and Safety in my work place.

I do however feel that this goes into a lot more detail and there are more categories listed that I didn't consider in my views on professional ethics.

I found a very interesting piece through Google about the ethics and regulations in dance, and how this writer feels that dance doesn't create its own ethics and that it is run and ruled by laws and regulations that have been set by those who have no knowledge of the industry. After reading this, it has made me very intrigued to research deeper into the political views this writer discusses and has risen the question in my mind, 'Do Dancers follow Dance ethics, or are we following a system that was never created for us?'  The Link is below:


I also found another great piece, written by a polish philosopher who's take on Dancer's professional ethic differs from the piece above:


I do feel that by researching on the internet, there is a wide range of views on what the professional ethics are within dance.  I think that this however sums up that dance doesn't have its own professional ethics, it runs on the guidelines of other laws and professions to create ethics.  Can we build a foundation of solid ethics on something that is so free and expressive?  Who can put a restriction on creativity?  If we have to sit and think whether a piece of choreography fits into a code of conduct, is it really a piece of expression or merely a militarized combination of ethical movement?


No comments:

Post a Comment