Tuesday 5 March 2013

Journal Writing Experience

On Tuesday 26th March I worked in an SEN primary school teaching children Dance and Drama.  A performing friend of mine usually teaches this class but she is currently doing a sketch show so needed it covered.  I was a little nervous the day before, as although I have taught children with special needs and behavioral problems, I have never taught in an SEN school before.  Having one child in a class is different to teaching a whole class with special needs.  I planned my classes very carefully, and made sure I researched the school so I could understand all the different types of children that attend there.  When I arrived at the school and taught the classes I was overwhelmed with how energetic and friendly all the children were.  I was able to engage with them through the world of performing and felt such pleasure from seeing them grow in confidence and self esteem from the exercises I was doing with them.  It made me grow as a person and a teacher to see how widely my work can effect children.  This is why i love Performing Arts so much, and why it will always hold a place in my heart.  It doesn't shut its doors to anyone, and maybe it could teach the world a few things.

2 comments:

  1. Looking back at this day and moving forward to my next class with this school, I am going to incorporate what they are learning in their lessons with the drama class. I feel that this would be really good for these children as they can visualize what it is they are learning. They will be able to understand their class work in a deeper way through acting out important themes from their curriculum. Their learning becomes more physical.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will look forward to reading your next blog. I am interested to find out how the children responded? What age group they were? What type of learning need they had? What learning you incorporate. I am sure I will have a few questions the next time I blog.

    I am only just starting to get into blogging, I am sure once I get into it I will have loads to say. Many of the other students have taken to it like a duck to water. But I was inspired by your blog, because I work in a school and have worked with a few SEN Children.

    Looking forward to reading your next blog.

    ReplyDelete